Social Enterprise UK commissioned Chris White, the author of the Social Value Act, to review the effect on public sector spending since it came into force in 2013.
The Act requires people who commission public services to securing wider social, economic and environmental benefits form the money that they spend in certain, limited circumstances.
Chris White’s 5 recommendations are:
- The Act needs to be extended to all public spending, and also to decision making.
- The Act needs to be strengthened requiring commissioners to “account for” not just “consider” social value.
- Social value needs to be included in devolution deals.
- These changes need to be supported by clearer statutory guidance by central government.
- A biennial State of Social Value Audit conducted independently but with the support of the Government.
Download Our Money, our Future from the Social Enterprise UK website.